Friday, January 16, 2015

Unspeakable Prayers

When even the angels had to turn aside their faces and wish they had not seen. When even the angels could not tell what they had heard. Unspeakable prayers, the seventh of the Thaddeus Murfee books, is coming in the next week. Right now the book is out for edits and beta reads, and will be published once all that good stuff is completed.

This weekend my wife is reading the book. She's usually a pretty good indicator for me. This book is going to be one I've waited and wanted all my life to write: it is, as Hollywood is wont to say, sprawling. Covering WWII and after, the history is broad histoscape that takes in so much of Poland, Germany, and America, where the virulent disease of Nazi Germany can still rear its head and ask to be heard. Witness even the latest round of rallies going on in Germany this past week. The world has changed so much since 1942, but has man really changed?

Which is what this book is all about. It deals with the kind of hatred most of us never know: that hatred of a people or a race that isn't subject to any kind of empathy or forgiveness (for what, God only knows) of the people who are members of that hated race or group. In writing this book, I have studied the historians, read the first-person accounts, considered the economic, religious, and political realities of pre- and post- and still cannot conceive how one group, the Nazis, could so loath another, the Jews, that it would try to eradicate them from the earth.

Pick up this book and read it, please. It is my best work and it's the book that will always make me feel like my life was worth living, after all.

After all the pain and loss and all the rest of it, Unspeakable Prayers can exist as my prayer.

No comments: